- 2 C. wrist-warm water
- 1 1/2 T. dry yeast
- 2 T. honey
- 2. t. salt
- 1 C. plain yogurt
- 7 1/2 C. unbleached white flour*
- Shortening to grease pans
- Grease 2 8” loaf pans** with shortening and set aside.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mix water, yeast, and honey together; stir to dissolve.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and yogurt and mix together thoroughly.
- Using a heavy-duty mixer with a dough hook or heavy spoon, stir in about 7 1/2 C. flour until the forming dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl.
If mixing by hand, scrape the dough onto a floured board.
- Dust with flour as needed, and knead for 10 minutes or until dough feels smooth and satiny, and pops back when you poke it with a finger.
If using a heavy duty mixer, continue to mix for about 7 minutes.
- For two 8” loaves, divide dough in half, and briefly knead each to shape; place into greased loaf pans.
- Cover dough with a cloth, and let rise in a warm spot until it comes to the top of the pan, about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove from pans immediately, and cool in wire racks.
*Or 50/50 white/whole wheat flour, or 100% white whole wheat
**Or 5 one-pound loaf pans; bake for about 35 minutes.