This syrup is excellent on pancakes, ice cream, stirred into yogurt or mixed with tequila and citrus juice for a summer cocktail.
- 1/2 t long pepper*
- 4 C Water
- 4 C Sugar
- 2 T Turmeric Root (dried)
- 1 T Ginger Root (dried or 1″ fresh root)
- Crush long pepper with mortar and pestle to release its flavor
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan, cover and bring to a rolling boil
- Once boiling immediately turn heat to low, remove lid ansd simmer to desired consistency. The longer you reduce the thicker the syrup.
- When desired consistency is reached strain through a fine mesh strainer and pour into pantry jar.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks
*The “long pepper” comes from a flowering vine with large catkin flowers. Within each flower are small black spikes that are the actual pepper. The taste is very similar to regular black pepper, and it is a relative of the species piper nigrum, but with a much hotter taste and an almost earthy, sweet overtone.