Mustard plasters were used to treat many varied disorders in the days before modern medicine. Besides being used as a painkiller for backache, they were also used to treat coughs and infections of the chest and lungs. A mustard plaster works by creating heat, drawing toxins out of the body and by being a source of nutrients that can be absorbed through the skin.
You will need:
A means of holding the cloth against the skin:
Old socks and gloves to hold on hands.
Long strips of cloth or an Ace elastic bandage for arms and legs
A towel warmed up in the dryer and folded up and put over the plaster if the person is lying down.
- Mustard powder. (Either store-bought mustard powder or freshly-ground seeds)
- White flour
- Measuring spoons
- Something to spread the paste onto the cloth, such as a spatula
1:4 Weak,- safe overnight
1:3 Mild – suitable for children, safe overnight for adult with normal skin.
1:2 Strong – Good for relieving chest congestion due to colds, use only during day or set alarm clock if using at night.
1:1 Very strong – Adults only, not suitable for children. Check frequently for signs of redness.When making and using a strong mustard plaster recipe, it is OK for skin to turn pink, even red, but it should not turn raw or angry-looking or blister. Remove plaster immediately if it shows any of these signs.
- Mix mustard and flour together.
- Add warm water to make a thin paste, not quite as thick as pancake batter.
- Spread the paste onto the piece of cloth and then cover it with another piece of cloth.
- Cover area the cloth will be placed with a thin coating of olive oil.
- Place the cloth with the mustard plaster mi sandwiched in between on the desired area.
- For additional warmth a warm towel can be placed on top of the mustard plaster cloth.
- Check frequently (every 5 minutes) to make sure there is no allergic reaction.
- Remove when skin begins to turn red, usually after 10-20 minutes using a 1:4 ratio. Do not leave on any longer than 30 minutes at a time.
- After removing the plaster rinse are with warm water.
- It is best if the person can remain in bed and rest for a couple hours after the treatment since the mustard plaster will typically bring congestion and phlegm to the surface.
May be repeated after 2 hours, up to 3 times a day.
Tips for an Adult chest plaster: 1 square foot. Cloth size 12″x24″, put paste on half the cloth, and fold over the other half..1 tablespoon mustard powder and 4 tablespoons flour. When making a chest plaster, you may want to have a hot ceramic plate nearby to put the plaster on briefly to warm it up before putting it on the skin. This is only for comfort purposes and is not necessary for the plaster to work.