- 1 fifth of 180 proof alcohol (moonshine was typically used in the original recipe but “Ever-clear” can be used)
- 1/2 C Honey
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 500 ml (16.9 oz.) filtered water
- 6 lemons
- Peel ONLY the yellow rind off all 6 lemons leaving the white “skin” (under the rind) on the lemons (the white skin will make the Cytronówka bitter)
- Place the yellow rind into a 1/2 gallon jar
- Pour the filth of alcohol over the rinds in the 1/2 gallon jar and set aside for 24 hours.
- Remove all of the white “skin” from the 6 lemons and discard
- Slice the 6 lemons
- In a quart pan place 500 ml (16.9 oz.) of filtered water and place on low heat
- Add honey and sugar to the water and stir until honey and sugar are dissolved then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add sliced up lemons to the honey/sugar water, cover and set aside for 24 hours
After 24 hours
- Remove the rinds and sliced lemons then combine both liquids by pouring them through a strainer.
- Squeeze the lemons to get all of the juice from of then, pour this lemon juice through a strainer lined with cheesecloth, and add to your other liquid.
- Bottle, label and allow to sit for 14 days to allow flavors to combine and mellow.
- After the 14 days has passed… drink and enjoy
Yields 2 fifths of 100 proof Cytronówka